STATEWIDE BUZZ REPORTER, MLive Media Group, Lansing, Mich. — March 2013 thru May 2015.
- Reports news with text, photos and video, as well as innovative story forms such as interactive databases, maps and slideshows.
- Managed social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Helps coordinate statewide news coverage with 10 offices across Michigan, including a year-long project honoring living World War II veterans.
- Writes several stories a day on a wide range of topics, including Michigan’s Congressional delegation, elections, food, and breaking news.
- Takes professional photos and videos while reporting, which are picked up in state and national publications.
- Traveled around Michigan and helped organize a series searching for the best pizza, doughnuts and craft breweries, resulting in statewide interest in winners.
POLITICAL REPORTER, MLive Media Group, Kalamazoo, Mich. — Feb. 2012 thru March 2013.
- Contributed to producing election coverage for Michigan’s 6th Congressional District and Kalamazoo County.
- Wrote analysis of local politics and elections in Southwest Michigan.
- Broke political news picked up by national publications.
- Provided breaking news across different mediums.
MULTIMEDIA REPORTER, Kalamazoo Gazette, Kalamazoo, Mich. — Jan. 2010 thru Feb. 2012
- Took and edited photos, produced videos and wrote stories on breaking news as well as feature projects.
- Aggregated web articles from different media sources that are relevant to the local audience.
- Added web-only content for other reporters’ stories.
- Managed the website early in the morning, delivering content during peak viewing periods.
- Writes well and accurately under deadline.
- Able to quickly learn new technologies and programs to implement in projects.
- Shoots and produces photos and video, remotely and in real time.
- Comes up with new ways of telling stories and conveying information.
- Manages several social media accounts, including tailoring content for pages, scheduling posts and interacting with readers.
- Proficient in data analysis and creating searchable databases with public records.
- Knowledgeable of web-based content providers and social networking mediums.
- Can find, edit and manipulate large amounts of data for presentation.
- Competent in:
- Caspio Online Database Software
- Hootsuite social media management software
- Final Cut Pro
- Microsoft Excel
Wade H. McCree Jr. Award for the Advancement of Justice from the State Bar of Michigan for a series analyzing the decline in the number of police officers and how it effects crime.
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Majors: Latin, History
- Minor: Creative Writing
- Recipient of:
- Elizabeth Giedman Award in Classics, April 2009
- Dean’s Scholarship, 2006-2010
- Kalamazoo Scholars Recognition Award, 2006-2010
COLLEGE ACTIVITIES AND INTERNSHIPS
- Intern, Kalamazoo Gazette
- Intern, Jackson Citizen Patriot
- News editor, Western Herald
- Radio host, WIDR